LUA | Continuing Education | Building Science Seminar
As construction professionals- we’re always working to improve our processes and understanding of building science.
Yesterday LUA had the privilege to participate in an excellent seminar hosted by Hayward Lumber and the Santa Barbara Contractors Association. Mark LaLiberte was the featured expert and is a national leader in the building industry, and a distinguished trainer, author and consultant. He has devoted his career to the study and practice of durability, energy efficiency, and construction detailing. Mark’s lecture included:
- Case studies of building failures, illustrating what NOT to do
- Detailed animations and videos of proper waterproofing and flashing installations
- Study of insulation best practices
- Ventilation concepts to improve inside air quality
- Home Energy Rating Score (HERS) insights
- The importance of the Blower Door test, measuring the air-tightness of homes
- The physics of the capillary flow of water- and flashing implications
Check out this website (and iPhone application) for some great animations and videos on construction detailing.
Mark LaLiberte left the class with this quote from John Ruskin:
“When we build, let us think that we build forever.”